After teaching the lesson, participants will:
1. Demonstrate how to find the following information on food containers
- Nutrition Facts
- Ingredients list
- Handling instructions
- Net Weight
2. Use the Nutrition Facts to identify
- Serving Size
- Number of servings in the container
- Amounts of nutrients per serving
3. Use the list of ingredients to identify which are present in the greatest amounts.
4. Demonstrate how to match label claims with health concerns.
5. Identify at least three nutrients and the disease(s) each nutrient can help prevent.
6. Use the % Daily Value to describe a product as having a low, medium or high amount of a nutrient.
7. Identify one vitamin and one mineral to look for on the Nutrition Facts label.
Daly-Koziel, Kathy; Brandl, Sarah; and Walters, Jackie, "Label Power [Facilitator's Guide]" (2009). Family and Consumer Sciences Publications. 48.