This report documents the installation and performance of PVC pipe installed on KY 9 in Campbell County. The pipe installed was Perma-Loc, manufactured by J-M Manufacturing Company, Inc.

Pipes appear to be performing well with the clean coarse sand backfill.lt is apparent the pipe is brittle at lower temperatures. and caution should be exercised during cold weather construction.

It is apparent that the contractor achieved substantial compaction around the haunches and the side of the pipe which is helping to reduce pipe deflection.

In July 1995, the pipes will have been installed for approximately two years. Minor changes in pipe deflection are still occurring in approximately 40 percent of the pipes. The other 60 percent appear to be stabilized.

Report Date


Report Number


Digital Object Identifier



The contents of this report reflect the views of the authors who are responsible for the facts and accuracy of the data presented herein. The contents do not necessarily reflect the official views or policies of the University of Kentucky, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, nor the Federal Highway Administration. This report does not constitute a standard, specification, or regulation. The inclusion of manufacturer names and trade names are for identification purposes and are not to be considered as endorsements.