To prevent forklift injuries:
- Do not operate a forklift without being certified and trained.
- Forklift operators should wear their safety belts.
- Do not jump from an overturning forklift. Keep your body inside the forklift frame. Ride it out and lean in the opposite direction of the overturn.
- Do not place yourself between two forklifts.
- Do not handle loads that are heavier than the load capacity of the forklift.
- Make sure that the travel path of the forklift is clear from the floor to the height of the load being moved.
- Do not step on elevated loads.
- It is a violation of a Federal law for anyone under 18 years of age to operate a forklift.
Kentucky Injury Prevention and Research Center, "Workers Killed While Working with Forklifts" (2010). Kentucky Haz Alerts--Other. 5.