To prevent tree trimmer injuries:
- Tree trimming or cutting should not be performed without appropriate safety training.
- Appropriate personal protective equipment should be worn at all times while removing trees.
- All trees and limbs should be inspected for structural weakness before work commences.
- Safe work procedures should be used for climbing, felling, topping, and pruning trees.
- A jobsite hazard assessment should be performed to identify hazards so that hazards can be controlled for.
Kentucky Injury Prevention and Research Center, "Residential Tree Trimmers Killed While Working" (2010). Kentucky Haz Alerts--Falls. Paper 5.