After this lesson, participants will:
- Prepare a reasonable food spending plan for the family.
- Describe the steps in preparing a shopping list.
- Make a shopping list based on menus for one week.
- Recognize what should be considered before going shopping.
- Identify unit price shelf tags and determine the most economical buy using unit pricing. • Be able to figure cost per serving and use it to find the best buys.
- Compare prices of convenience foods with prices of similar foods made at home.
- Identify factors that add to the cost of convenience foods.
- Give examples of ways to avoid food waste.
- Describe at least three ways to save at the grocery.
Daly-Koziel, Kathy and May, Rita, "Plan for Food Spending [Facilitator's Guide]" (2007). Family and Consumer Sciences Publications. 51.