To prevent truck driver injuries while traversing distribution facilities:
- Drivers of yard tractors should ensure that a clear path is visible before moving the vehicle. Truck drivers should not approach such vehicles on foot until acknowledgment of contact has been made between both drivers.
- Do not enter behind the trailer until other vehicle drivers behind have come to a complete stop and parked the vehicle.
- Always wear reflective vests while traversing a distribution facility.
- Employers should develop and implement a comprehensive safety plan that addresses truck driver pedestrian traffic in freight distribution facilities.
- All air lines and electrical connections should be made between the yard tractor and trailer before moving the trailer.
Kentucky Injury Prevention and Research Center, "Truck Drivers Killed After Exiting Semi Tractors and Being Struck by Other Semi Tractors in Distribution Center" (2009). Kentucky Haz Alerts--Motor Vehicle. 2.