Year of Publication
Doctor of Nursing Practice
Dr. Melanie G. Hardin-Pierce
Dr. Karen Newman
Dr. Debra Hampton
PURPOSE: The purpose of this descriptive study was to examine the impact of a fall prevention quality improvement initiative on one unit of an acute care hospital (Hospital A). This multimedia initiative consisted of a video led fall prevention presentation with nurse-led scripted teach-back education on all newly admitted patients of one medical surgical oncology unit of Hospital A. Two objectives guided this study and included: Analyze adherence of a fall prevention education video and registered nurse led scripted teach-back intervention on newly admitted patients in the electronic health record; and Evaluate the impact of video education and registered nurse led scripted teach-back on the incidence of inpatient falls per 1000 bed days.
METHODS: This study was conducted using a non-experimental, cross-sectional, descriptive design.
SAMPLE: There were 76 patients that were admitted during the study. A total of 56 patients (73.7%) met criteria for study inclusion with a total of 20 patients (26.3%) excluded from the study. Patients aged 19 through 90, who were cognitively intact (alert, oriented to self, place, and time), admitted over 24 hours and able to read, speak, and comprehend English were included. Exclusion criteria comprised patients who were not cognitively intact, or patients who were discharged, deceased, declined to participate or transferred to another unit within 24 hours of admission.
RESULTS: Out of 56 patients eligible for intervention, 26 patients (46.4%) received the video viewing and teach back intervention within the 24-hour time frame. Another 7 patients (12.5%) received the intervention in 48 hours, bringing the total to 33 patients (58.9%).
There was no statistical difference (p = .087) found between the age of the patient (M= 65.7) and the video viewing and teach back intervention within 24 hours. There was no statistical difference (p = .223) found between the age of the patient (M = 65.9) and whether the video viewing and teach back intervention was completed after 48 hours. No statistical difference was found (p =. 373) in the fall risk score (M = 8.9) and the intervention being completed within 48 hours nor no statistical difference (p = .964) found in the fall risk score (M = 8.5) and the intervention completion in 24 hours.
CONCLUSION: Evaluation of this fall prevention quality initiative resulted in expected but positive results in the limited two-week survey even though no statistical differences were found between cofounding variables. This initiative may provide needed interventions to facilitate the organization’s fall risk assessment tool and decrease fall rates throughout the hospital setting.
Lechner, Dawn M., "Analysis and Evaluation of Fall Incidence and Registered Nurse Documentation of a Teach-Back Intervention at an Acute Care Hospital" (2018). DNP Projects. 214.