- About 58 years ago, on October 14, 1960, Lexington, KY, Detectives James Perkins and Carl Shye raided the drag show at the Lyric Theater. As seen in the photo above, performer Princess de Carlo was one of the performers arrested and put into the paddy wagon.
- Under a Lexington ordinance, "drag" was illegal, except on Halloween. Men were not permitted to wear women's clothing and makeup in public.
- The photograph is the property of the University of Kentucky, Special Collections Research Center. John C. Wyatt Lexington Herald-Leader Collection. accession number R.2531.02
- Princess de Carlo gave the police the name William Campbell, Jr., age 29, and the address 194 Deweese Street, which was the location of the DeLuxe Beauty Parlor owned by Mrs. Minnie Kavanaugh.
- Source: "Two female impersonators booked during stage show" Lexington Leader, 10/15/1960, p.1, columns 7-8, p.8.
Presented by Bluegrass Black Pride, Inc.