To prevent tree trimming and removal fatalities, workers should:
- Perform a hazard assessment of the work area before starting work
- Appropriate personal equipment should be worn at all times while trimming or removing trees
- Determine the tree’s felling direction. Address forward lean, back lean, and/or side lean issues
- All trees and limbs should be inspected for structural weakness before work commences
- Have an escape route planned
Kentucky Injury Prevention and Research Center, "Workers Killed During Tree Trimming/Removal" (2011). Kentucky Haz Alerts--Other. 4.