I. Design concepts: (See Figure 1)
- Water tight inside and outside Power & Machinery
- Manhole or other covers tight to prevent contamination with 2" raised curb
- Overflow with check valve
- Initial roof-off diverted from cistern as roof dirt is washed off
- Inlet pipe near the top with splash pan below or a force breaker at bottom so that floor settlements are not disturbed. No data on which is more effective.
- Cleanout outlet pipe to pump located in small sump area with floor sloping to sump.
- Placed below ground to prevent freezing
- Water pipe to houe from floating inlet or 4" off bottom
Holmes, E. and Taraba, Joseph L., "Design and Maintenance of Cisterns" (1989). Agricultural Engineering Extension Updates. 39.